Persepolis and the Library

I know I had been aware of this film's existance, but I'd never taken the time to read up on it (why?!) and/or watch it until this last weekend when I discovered my local library! This isn't just any library - it's the library of 2009! (Well maybe just "post 1990's") I ordered 3 books (just like on amazon, but free!) and rented (yes - you can rent DVDs for free!) Persepolis and Grey Gardens for kicks.

Persepolis had me hooked in the first 3 minutes - it's AMAZING! The way the black and white cartoony medium contrasts with the exoticisim of the subject is perfect. It neutralizes just enough to universalize and allow any viewer to see just how easily Marjane's story could be their own. I cried in the first half of the movie - and cackled like an old crow for the rest. I love how the characters aren't all "Incredibles"/"online car insurance" gumby like cartoons - these ladies actually have boobies and some back :)

The film was animated and illustrated entirely by hand and you can feel the difference. I loved all of the black with touches of white...think I'll start working on some prints with that feel.